Patient and Family Care
N.C. Children’s Hospital has 150 inpatient beds:
- 64-bed inpatient unit
- 8-bed Cardiac Intermediate Care Center (CICC)
- 58-bed Newborn Critical Care Center (NCCC)
- 20-bed Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
In addition, the hospital has an 8-bed Children’s Short Stay Unit has for children requiring less than 24 hours of inpatient care. The hospital houses expanded radiology services for both children and adults, as well as a pathology laboratory, pharmacy and outpatient physical / occupational therapy services, among others.
All inpatient unit rooms are private, featuring bathrooms with tubs and showers and convertible sofas to accommodate parents staying with their child, while specialty-units offer family sleep rooms.
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- Newborn Critical Care Center (NCCC)
- Cardiac Intermediate Care Center (CICC)
- Pediatric Trauma Center
- Pediatric Surgical Suite
Inpatients and their families have access to supervised recreational facilities where children can relieve the stress associated with hospitalization, including:
- Sigma Sigma Sigma Foundation Robbie Page Play Atrium—A two-story, indoor park for young children.
- Jason Clark Teen Lounge—A retreat for our older patients, offering several video gaming systems, and arcade-style entertainment such as air hockey and pool tables.
- Charles Goren Music Room—A special room equipped with musical instruments and related equipment.
- Alan Davis Stiles, MD, Lookout Terrace—An outdoor, rooftop recreational area themed after North Carolina’s natural features, from mountains to coast.
- Ronald McDonald Family Room—A cozy retreat offering families a private escape from the stress that comes from being at the hospital for days, even months, on end.
- NHL Lion’s Den Legacy Classroom—A fun and educational high-tech classroom gifted to North Carolina by the National Hockey League and hockey Hall of Famer Pat LaFontaine’s Companions in Courage Foundation.
- Family Resource Rooms—Special rooms featuring printed material,
instructional videos and an Internet-connected computers for online
The Children’s Hospital also offers a state-accredited Hospital
School for children in grades K-12, helping kids keep up with their
studies during hospital stays.